Hikes in Alaska

Return to Message Board

This might be a stretch to ask, but I'm going to Alaska for a couple weeks in August and was wondering if anyone has been? We're flying into Anchorage and then taking a motorhome (I know :) out from there. I'm looking for 1-4 day hike ideas, or if you have any books to recommend that would be great as well. Thanks so much!

I went to Alaska at the beginning of May of this year and it was fantastic. I am sure that you will have a great time. One book that we had was Lonely Planets Hiking in alaska. It had severl hikes in it for each area and a variety of day hikes to longer backpacks. Alaska is such a huge place it is hard to pick one out without knowing what area you are going to. We did all day hikes and were limited a bit by snow levels as it was May. Probably my favorite was a hike up Mt Healy in Denali National Park. Great views and a relatively nice trail up (along with a crazy moose). Out of anchorage there is also Table moutian in the Chugach mts that was a pretty nice hike up. I hope that gives you some ideas! Check out my homepage for a glimpse of a few of my pictures from the trip.