North Idaho - Washington hikes

Return to Message Board

I’m looking for a good backpacking trip in Northern Idaho or Northeast Washington. I’ll be in the Spokane area for a couple days during the summer and would like to get a two or three day trip in.

Yeah, there are lots of trails all over NE Washington and Idaho that are only a few hours from Spokane. Salmo-Priest is a good place to check out as are the Selkirks in Washington (I personally haven't done the Selkirks in Idaho though). You're not likely to see them, but be prepared for bear, even brown bear. Depending on the trail in late summer you'd have to carry in all your water.
There is some good hiking a couple hours north in the Salmo-Priest Wilderness. There are some good loop trips possible as well. A couple years ago we travelled Trail # 506 leading to travelling along the South Salmo River, past Little Snowy Top Mountain, and out along trail 512 and 535. It was a very nice loop trip.
Definitely check out the Selkirks in Northern Idaho, just a couple hours from Spokane. The Beehive Lakes make for a nice, quick weekend. The trail is only 4 or 5 miles out, but you can spend some time exploring the area.