Mystery Hike to Glacial Lake?? Help!

Return to Message Board

Hello!  Trying to locate a mystery hike -
I lived in Walla Walla, WA at the time, the trailhead was within a few hours drive.  The hike was about 3 miles, very steep switchbacks almost the whole way.  At the top was a beautiful glacial lake surrounded by stone mountain peaks; one of them was like the Half Dome in Yosemite.  We could see bighorn sheep on the mountain faces, and found a carcass that had been partially eaten by mountain lion.  The lake was sortof U-shaped, we camped on the interior of the U so the lake was almost all around.  It was an AWESOME spot, but it was so long ago, I can't remember where we were!!!   Can anyone help?  Thanks

I'm thinking of the Wallowas as well -- I am guessing that it is Ice Lake.  The hike is more than three miles, about twice that distance.  The rest of the description would fit pretty well.   It is a u-shaped lake, the Matterhorn is visible and other large granite peaks surround it, the hike up is pretty steep, etc...

Trail Description:
http://www.trailsnw.com/index.php?fuseaction=Trails.DisplayTrail&hike num=45
Forrest
Maybe somewhere in the Eagle Cap Wilderness.  The Matterhorn has a big rock face that could be compaired to Half Dome.  It is along the Hurwall divide, which has a population of Mountain Sheep. However, I can't think of a three mile hike with a lake at the end where you could see the Matterhorn.
Adam