Backpacking Options June 20

Return to Message Board

Hi and thank you in advance for your help.

I have a backpacking trip planned for the Seven Devils on June 20th. The guidebooks I initially read said this area was hikable in June. Subsequent guides say most likely in July.

Anyway, I cant change my dates and I've contacted the Ranger Station and they said the road still has snow drifts after the 11 1/2 mile mark. The weather is suppose to improve but my gut feeling is is that the road will still be blocked on June 20th. So, I'm looking for a backup plan and am having a hard time finding a suitable hike.

Basically the requirements are a lake or good river for fishing and a place for a base camp with some options for exploring. (taking some adolescents)

I would really appreciate some suggestions. I've looked at some websites for US forest district and there doesnt seem to be much open yet, despite the low snowfall this year.

Thanks again

Steve

Hey thanks Adam....ya I'd be willing to go to either Oregon or Washington, or Montana for that matter.
Badweed
Oh, I'm in Hayden.  The cold spring has mad it difficult to get into many raods yet, but even on the best of years, June is too early for  Heavens Gate.  You can always hike the Rapid River trail.  There are several trails that leave the river and head into the Seven Devils, but there will likely be a lot of snow in the upper elevations. The  drawbacks would be the Rapid river may be hot and snakey.  Maybe look into hiking out of bolder creek, the Southern end of the Seven Devils may be more accessable.  And ofcoarse most Hells Canyon would work, but may be hot.  The Selway river is great fishing, but catch and release and would be open.   If it were me, and I was willing to drive 8 hours, I would do 1 of 2 options.   Hike the main salmon out of corn creek and explore the canyon.  Or look into the Lemhi Range down south.  It is a dry range that may have many trails open aroungd that time.  There are a few options out of the State if you are willing to buy out of state fishing licenses.
Adam
 I live in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho.....I'd be willing to drive up to 8 hours.

Thanks

Steve

Badweed
Where do you live and what is a reasonable drive? 
Adam