Cabin fever

Return to Message Board

I'm starting to get cabin fever luckily we've had a couple of 50 degree+ days and I didn't have to work so I took the family on a little outing. It was close to home but still felt good to get out since I don't do any winter hiking normally. We stopped half way and had hot chocolate my 5 year old loved it. Looks like in a few more years I will have a hiking buddy I hope. Anyone else doing anything fun and exciting to get rid of their possible "cabin fever"? I am already planning a couple of trips this summer, researching possible destinations is part of the fun, except it seems so far away....

Welcome to the site LynnPete! It's nice to hear about parents teaching their kids about the natural world and getting them involved in the outdoors. Luckily this winter has been pretty good, at least here in Portland, so my cabin fever isn't quite as bad as it has during our more typical gray and rainy winters, but I am still definitely looking forward to summer!
Forrest
I am new to this site. I did a lot of hiking when I was younger, and my husband and three kids are getting into again as the youngest (6) is big enough to carry her own things. We live on Whidbey Island and have been doing short dayhikes here at Fort Ebey and Deception Pass. I tell ya that cabin fever had us going crazy. We are planning some day hikes and some longer hikes for this summer between re-enactment camping. My kids are very excited to go exploring and learning about what is edible and what isn't. Also what is usable and for what purposes.
LynnPete
"Forrest, you've got so many great pictures it would be cool to see some videos, will we be able to comment on those to?" Yes, at least at some point in the future, maybe not initially though.
Forrest
Sounds like a place I need to check out for sure. Thats crazy! You graduated in 97 from Lewiston I graduated in 99 so I would have been a sophmore. Small world I guess.
T. Simons_81
T. Simons 81, I do have some photos from the white clouds and sawtooths and yes both mountain ranges are awesome. I have about five trips from last summer that I have yet to post. You would be doing yourself a big favor by seeing that part of Idaho. I spent 9 days down there. A half a foot of snow was the only reason I left. By the way, I am a Lewiston native, graduated in 97.
Adam
I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets excited by looking at maps of possible destinations. Uploading videos would be cool to. Forrest, you've got so many great pictures it would be cool to see some videos, will we be able to comment on those to? Adam on your page you list the White Cloud and Sawtooths mountains if you have any picture put them up I'm sure they are awesome. One of these days i will get down that way also. We are pretty lucky to live in Idaho the mountains here are some of the greatest in the states.
T. Simons_81
I'm so ready for spring and summer...done a few short hikes during the winter to get me by, but I'm ready for the warm days and hikes through the mountains. I'm attempting to fend of cabin fever with a mix of trip planning, and working on TrailsNW.com...have a few features I'm hoping to roll out in the next couple of months, including updates to the message board and the ability to upload videos....
Forrest
I've been thinking about straping the snowshoes on, but the recent weather has got me thinking it's spring. I've been doing some planning myself. About once a week I find my self on the floor with maps trying to figure out where I want to go this spring/summer/fall. I'm gonna try to hit hells canyon at the end of March.
Adam