Timberline trail

Return to Message Board

Hi, I am planning my trip for next week. I have a 2 1/2 days to do Timberline trail. I am just wondering how realistic is it? Thanks Mk.

keep in mind that river crossings are better in the morning when the air temps are cooler...when in doubt, turn back!
flowergirl
thank you guys, I appreciate all the comments.. I just came from Ramona falls, very nice and enjoyable hike...I venture out little bit on Pacific Crest trail#2000.. Back to Timberline trail.. I agree(flowergirl) that river crossing maybe little difficult.. will see...I am leaving Portland at 2pm on 28th, and hoping to start around 3:30pm and hike for 4hours and then I have 29 and 30 to complete the trail... Later....
mirokojs
With the hot air temps, the river crossings will be treacherous from all the snowmelt. Also, there are a few spots where slides from erosion have made the trail impassable and you will be fined by the rangers if they find you in that area. Also, I believe that Gnarl Ridge is closed for restoration after the fires last year. Just a few warnings...hope you get to do this trail as it was one of the best backpacking experiences of my life. But, then again, that was before all the washout and we did it in four days :0)
flowergirl
It probably depends on your current level of conditioning, but it's definitely possible. If you're fine doing over 20 miles a day, with some fairly substantial ups and downs, then you will most likely be fine--just be careful! I've been wanting to do the timberline trail in two days, but without a backpack (park at Elk Cove, day hike to Timberline Lodge, spend the night and enjoy a shower and breakfast, then hike back to Elk Cove).
Forrest
I did it in 2 days, but it took every bit of me. I started at timberline lodge and hike clockwise around the mountain. I think somewhere around cairn basin is the half-way point. My trip was a great experience and the most I've pushed myself. However, there were a few areas I wanted to spend more time at. I would plan on spending more time between elk cove and mt hood meadows. Also, be prepared for dangerous stream crossings.
Adam