South Sister

Return to Message Board

Which is the best route to hike/climb the south sister? Trail head...etc.?

I have the topo map for the area so Ive been planning as much as i can! I'm sure there are many different loops you can take so it will be interesting with what i come up with! My next goal is trying to find someone from back home or around here to do it with me! I don't mind doing some solo hikes but its always nice to have a hiking companion! My puppy will be to young to come with me on a long hike! I'm hoping the fishing is good up there too! I know about the campfire thing! Its nice to even have them out here! where i grew up hiking you couldnt have them anywhere in the wilderness above 9,000 ft.(big horn wilderness in Wyoming), and out there most the the best spots to hike are about 9,000 ft.! Ill keep you posted!
djkavitz
I am really looking forward to doing the loop trip around the sisters.... but including the hike up the south sister it would probably be a week long journey if not slightly more. I have not done much of the area south of south sister... which is filled with lake country that I have heard is beautiful, however filled with Mossies! I might hike starting at broken top (a hard gravel road to get though that seems as though it may not get you anywhere but stuck) The views are great and the meadows are fantastic.. I would hike that into green lakes and camp. Then to mariane lake to camp and then up the mountian then back out..... I dont know about a loop trip from this point... get a topographical map of the region..... everywhere is beautiful here though!!! Remember no campfires by many of the lakes in this area. Let me know what you end up doing ;-)
Jessi-Brianne
I would like to do a few day hike, i just heard there are a few different routes up. I just moved to Oregon and thought this would be a great hike once the snow melts, went to rebel creek over the 4th, to thick of woods and i couldnt find the trial to make the loop :( cant wait for the snow to melt!
djkavitz
Do you want to do it in one day or camp/backpack?? Devils lake is a brutal start to a brutal hike.... but it is probably the best and most used way up. You could go up falls creek trail and connect to maurine lake if you want a longer hike or even camp at that lake either way you go. Its a fantastic hike... GOODLUCK :-) And dont let the false summit get you too excited:-)
Jessi-Brianne