5-7 day loop hike

Return to Message Board

I am looking for a 5-7 day loop hike either in Oregon or Washington to do with my teenager. I know if the mosquitoes are brutal it is not gonna be too much fun for him. any suggestions?

we have decided the minam lake river loop with a stop over at the minam lodge. i think we will then head back to the trail head via the jim white rim trail. anyone know about needing a permit for this area for parking? thanks for everyone's help!
rcantor
You need to check the snow situation...it's a pretty light year, but Glacier Lake is a highlight of many of these loops and I'm not sure you can get there as early as you are going. Look up a ranger station and give a call. If you are in that area, Glacier Lake and the Lakes Basin are most popular but probably make up the best and most scenic trip you can make, also with the easiest drives to trailheads.
mrchas
just got my map of the Wallowas and am looking at the trails...seems like we can get lots of loop hikes and maybe a stopover, resupply at Minam lake Lodge :) i will check out the "Backpacking Oregon: book recommended...thanks!
rcantor
In addition to this fine web site, might I suggest you pick up copies of Doug Lorain's books, "Backpacking Oregon" and "Backpacking Washington"? My husband and I have used them extensively and found them to be accurate & detailed. We almost never do the mileages he does - he puts in long days! - but enough detail is included so that we're able to break the trips into smaller chunks. One of our favorite loop hikes in the Wallowas is the East Eagle/Imnaha loop out of the Oregon book (although, like Forrest, we've only done it later in the year). There are a couple of pretty loops you can do in the southern portion of the North Cascades, too, starting at Rainy Pass. It looks like most of that area is nearly melted out, so you should be able to get in there in mid-July without a problem.
PDXHiker
cool! i will try to research some more loops and post. we are coming from texas so i think pretty much anything will impress us :)
rcantor
Lyman/Image Lake would actually probably be a pretty good one. Scenery is definitely good. I'm trying to think of the mosquito situation...and at least I can say that it wasn't so bad that it sticks in my head as being terrible!
Forrest
Lyman-Image Lake Loop?
rcantor
I would probably suggest something in the Wallowas. Longer loop trips like yours are pretty easy to find, and the scenery is great. I can't remember having too much bad luck with mosquitos there, but I have also generally done my trips there in late August or September (after the main mosquito season).
Forrest
oh i don't expect a perfect mosquito free experience..i know that certain areas that have a lot of lakes and such might be worse though...
rcantor
That's a hard one. Mosquitos will be common during that time of year, on almost any trail. I guess the only advice I can offer is to find a river hike away from lakes and marshes.
stephen
we will be in the area around July 12th. I suppose no more than 8 miles/day would be cool on the average
rcantor
When are you planning on doing your trip? What kind of mileage do you want to do each day?
Forrest