3 day backpack trip June 1st

Return to Message Board

Any ideas where to go close to Portland, that is not near the coast, within about 3 hour of portland? I guess I would not be against the coast, but we prefer something more in the mountains. I have no idea the snow depths at certain places, looking for suggestions. these were all thoughts: john day wilderness hells canyone William O' douglas area norse peak wilderness but most are a bit far from Portland, and I have no idea what the snow is like at any of them this time of year. any other suggestions? thanks

The Quinalt (Enchanted Valley) was great, the valley is spectacular. The road is closed to the trailhead, which adds 5 miles each way for the trip though (in our case, we were looking for a longer hike so this worked out ok for us). It's a gravel road, so the walking isn't really too bad, and we even saw a bear during the road walk. The drive isn't too bad from Portland, we just took I-5 up to Chehalis, and then took highway 12 to Aberdeen, and then north on 101 to Lake Quinalt. It's between a 3.5 and 4 hour drive, but also count some time for checking in at the ranger station at lake quinalt. Bear cans are also required for the trails in the Olympics, which you can rent from ranger stations. We left Portland around 7:30, arrived and checked in at the ranger station, ate lunch at the trailhead, and were walking at 12:00. I have also done the Hoh River, which could be a good option also. I don't remember it being quite as spectacular as the Quinalt, but it's been a while. The Dosewallips and Duckabush are also good, low-level trails. I always prefer loop trips, or longer traverses, but this time of year those options are generally off the table (Anything above probably 3,000 feet in the olympics would be under snow, so all of the trails in the olympics are most likely out-and-back trips at this time).
Forrest
forrest- looks as though we are going to the olympics after all. any specific routes you would recommend? looking at the enchanted forest area, so the Quinalt were you just were is in it i believe? do you have to drive around to port angeles or access from the southwest instead? hopefully, as that would save mucho drive time from portland. thanks much for the suggestion.
tmoney
olympics are great, but looking for other suggestions more in the cascades/ oregon area. The areas i mentioned are a bit far eastern oregon i realize. hmm...
tmoney
Mountain hikes are somewhat hard to come by in early June. The William O'Douglas and Norse Peak areas will be mostly under snow. The John Day area may have some options, perhaps the trail along the river. I believe there are some Hells Canyon trips that are open this time of year, but it's quite a bit longer than 3 hours from Portland. I just hiked the Quinalt River in the Olympics (3.5 hours drive time), which was fantastic. There are numerous valley bottom trails in the Olympics (Duckabush, Dosewallips, Hoh, Quinalt, N. Fork Quinalt) that are open this time of year, and offer mountain views. The Olympics would definitely be worth a look.
Forrest