Early Season Backpacking!

Return to Message Board

Hoping to do a relatively easy backpacking trip Mon. & Tues. May 25-26. BUT, it has to be pretty cool as well because I am introducing my fiance to backpacking - and I want him to desire to do it again :) I'm in Boise, so it would have to be somewhere that was maybe a 6hr drive or less away from here. I think the Sawtooths are pretty much out due to snow. It sounds like maybe Hells Canyon could be an option, but I really would like to camp out in the wilds and not at a campground. Any ideas??

RE "I am introducing my fiance to backpacking - and I want him to desire to do it again :)" Feenees... he is a guy... the fact that his fiance is out there is all the desire he will need! Trust me.... its that simple;)
wiskytango
I don't know of too many good trails in the Owyhee. The only hike I've been able to find was spectacular, but the 'trails' wouldn't probably be fit for someone new. Wish I could be of more help! I was actually looking at the John Day River in Eastern Oregon for this weekend, which could be within your 6 hour drive time. I haven't been there, but may be worth a look...
Forrest
Hells canyon would be an option. Some roads into the higher areas like hat point might be snowed in. The rapid river near riggins would be a great spot. I've never been there, but I intend to one day. The owyhee canyon lands are snowfree year round, but I have no idea of the trails in the area. There might be some trails in the Lemhi's open
Adam