Easy backpacking trip with son

Return to Message Board

I haven't been backpacking for years, but I am thinking of taking my 13 year old son on a short, overnight backpacking trip this summer somewhere in the north or central Oregon Cascades. I would like to really impress him with scenery and keep the hike in pretty easy. Suggestions? Thanks.

There is some good territory on the northwest side of the Three Sisters. A short backpack in and you would have access to some of the nice meadows and lakes under the North Sister.
will112
Canyon Creek Meadows is nice, however a forest fire swept through a few years back, so I'm not sure how nice the area is currently.
Forrest
Canyon Creek Meadows below Three Fingered Jack is a nice little loop trip. There are also a few lakes around that could make for good side trips.
stephen
I've been to the same lakes that forrest suggested. Great scenery and easy, but avoid them in July. I've never seen mosquitos so thick in my life. In my opinion the sisters are the most scenic area of the Oregon cascades. The forrest servic web site will often have trails listed and rated for difficulty. I was about your sons age when I first went backpacking. You may introduce him to something that he will do for many years to come.
Adam
I have fond memories of Pamelia Lake on the west side of Mt. Jefferson, which was my first backpack. Some good views of Jefferson, a nice lake, and an easy hike in. You may also look at Marion Lake in the Mt. Jefferson wilderness as well.
Forrest