North Cascades

Return to Message Board

I have a week off in early August, and would like to explore some of the North Cascades. Any suggestions on a good 4 or 5 day backpacking trip?

It definitely is a good trip, although the North Cascades is still a place I need to explore more. I have been wanting to do some trips to the north of the North Cascades Highway. I always have a preference for loop trips, and they seem like they can be hard to come by in the North Cascades. I have also been over Easy Pass, and a good loop that I would like to try someday would be to head over Easy Pass, down Fisher Creek, up Thunder Creek to Park Creek Pass, and then connect up with the PCT to take me back to the highway. There would be a couple miles of road walking, but still could be a pretty nice loop.
Forrest
I will probably do the Image Lake Loop as described on this site, although I sitll have some time to decide. Looks really good though.
stephen
Image Lake can be a bit busy but with the views its understandable. I really don't remember it being too busy for us, but we were probably there mid-week. The other areas of that trip didn't seem to get too crowded. There were definitely people out, but we didn't have any problems finding places to camp.
Forrest
Thanks, the Lyman-Image Lake trip looks cool. Is this a busy area? I'll have to look at the Pasayten wilderness also.
stephen
I've only done a few hikes in the North Cascades, the Lyman-Image Lake loop was great, and would last for four or five days. Spectacular scenery. I also hiked through the North Cascades while doing the Pacific Crest Trail, and have been wanting to get back up there and explore the Pasayten Wilderness some more. It looks like there are quite a few loop opportunities available and the scenery was great, very rugged, and it seemed quite a bit drier than other parts of the Cascades.